Saturday 14 December 2013

Dragon Ball reading: Introduction

Welcome to my blog, where I'll be doing a casual review of the Dragon Ball manga and reading the entire series for the first time. Well, I've read everything but some parts of the Namek and Android arcs, but not all in order!

Anyway, one of the reasons I'm doing this (other than just plain wanting to read it all) is because I'm interested in pinning down my preferences for each of the arcs and exploring what it is that makes me love Dragon Ball. Another is that I am one of those fans who creates their own Battle Power lists, and I want to tweak mine and make sure I'm happy with its accuracy, though I probably won't be covering that in my review. Unless people are interested in that, but I'm assuming not.

And finally, I'm rather interested in looking at the plot holes present in the manga. There's quite a few, and I plan to divide them up by arc to see what the spread of them is like. I want to identify the potential plot holes, determine whether they are genuine inconsistencies or contradictions, and offer explanations that could fit (mostly to satisfy my OCD tendencies). I will also cover some points that are widely considered to be plot holes, but... aren't.

That won't be the main focus of the reading, however. Each entry will cover one volume of the manga, and I'll mainly be talking about what I liked about each volume, what I didn't, and do the same at the end of each arc. Each arc I finish will be compared to the ones before it, so that when I've finished the manga I'll have a list of best to worst story arcs. This is very similar to MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection series however a key difference is that I will not number the arcs as I go along - because I honestly do not know what the order will be until I reach the end, and as such can't number them in advance. If you're interested in this blog, then you'll likely be interested in his series as well, so I recommend you check that out.

By the way, I'm going to be using manga names for everything. I won't be using the Funimation dub names like Tien, Krillin, Special Beam Cannon and the like, nor Viz's name changes like Pocus, Djinn, and Vegerot (except for 'Android' and 'Kakarot' which I'll explain later). Just a heads up if that's going to bother you.

With that said, I'm going to bed! And then tomorrow months later I will make my first third entry, on Dragon Ball volume 1: I don't know the title of volume 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment